The RSI Interpreter: An Introduction to Remote Simultaneous Interpreting
Join our LIVE (i.e. synchronous) four-hour workshop to discover and practice remote simultaneous interpreting (RSI). Overcome the technical hurdles to interpret effectively. Save $30 through Sept. 1!
In the age of COVID-19, do you want to perform simultaneous interpreting online? Remote simultaneous interpreting (RSI) is a relatively new solution to provide video remote interpreting (VRI) in simultaneous mode. To perform it well, you’ll need special interpreting skills and technical expertise.
Increase your job prospects. Cross-Cultural Communications and Seven Sisters Interpreter Training & Consulting are delighted to bring you a new workshop. The RSI Interpreter focuses on developing your ability to deliver RSI in many settings. Join master interpreter trainers Laura Holcomb and Liz Essary for this four-hour remote simultaneous interpreting (RSI) session. Get ready to step into the virtual booth!
In this course, medical, legal and educational spoken language interpreters who already work in simultaneous mode will learn how to perform RSI professionally. The live, interactive workshop covers these topics:
- RSI best practices, and features of the platforms
- Differences between communication onsite and online
- RSI practice with a partner in Zoom and VoiceBoxer
- Technical setup for RSI
- Next steps and resources for further training
Following two hands-on practice sessions, you’ll be guided through a group debrief of your experience. You will receive feedback on the best ways for you to provide quality RSI.
Please note that this workshop focuses on delivering simultaneous interpreting online. This is not a workshop to learn simultaneous interpreting.
This workshop is designed for spoken language interpreters.
Feedback from our participants:
"Excellent presenters, useful material, good rhythm, very efficient! Loved it!"
"I liked that we had hands-on experience with both platforms. I had never used VoiceBoxer, but I also learned new things about Zoom. I also liked that [the trainers] shared their photo for a Zoom RSI session. So very helpful!"
"I really enjoyed it and really liked how you had us do step by step instructions."
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2020
Timetable: 12:00-5:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m.-2:00p.m. PT) with a break from 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. PT)
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI): 4 CCHI CE hours
- International Medical Interpreters Association: 0.4 IMIA/NBCMI CEUs
- American Translators Association: 4 ATA CEPs
- Washington State Department of Social Health Services: 4 DSHS CECs
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 4 CE credits
- Pennsylvania Interpreter Certification Program (ICP): 4 CEUs
- Washington State Court Interpreter Program: 4 CEUs
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 4 OCCI PDUs
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify best practices for RSI and understand the features of Zoom and RSI platforms.
- Distinguish between the experiences of onsite and online interpreting.
- Identify the technical requirements for RSI work.
- Apply RSI best practices while working with a partner.
- Analyze the experience of simultaneous interpreting in an online environment.
- Completion of a minimum of 40-hours of interpreter training
- Medical, social services or educational interpreting experience
- Simultaneous interpreting experience
- Computer (Recommend i5 processor or above)
- Zoom (Updated Version)
- Chrome or Firefox (Updated Version)
- Quality headset with boom mounted microphone (Essential equipment for your professional life. Invest now. No earbuds, please!) Advice on choosing a headset.
- High speed internet (minimum 5 mbps upload/10 download) Test Your Speed.
- Ethernet cable (Must connect computer directly to router. Minimum quality CAT6)*
- Ethernet to USB adapter (if needed)*
- Blank or uncluttered background (for VRI)*
- External Monitor*
*Recommended but not required
This course is limited to 20 participants. Once the course has reached capacity, those interested will be added to a waitlist in the order in which their inquiry is received.
Training Participant Information Release
By registering for our live online training programs, you agree to allow Cross-Cultural Communications, LLC to share your contact information with participants in the same training session for purposes of creating a collaborative online training experience for all participants. Should you have concerns or not wish to have your contact information shared by CCC, prior to the training session please contact Maisoon Ateem Abdelrhman, Program Manager.