The Interpreter Trainer Online
During this LIVE online program, learn how to train interpreters ONLINE in medical, educational and social services or business interpreting. See below for session dates. All sessions have sold out so far. Reserve your spot today!
Do you need to train interpreters online? Immediately?
Attend this 20-hour online training of trainers (TOT). Find out how to train interpreters in medical, educational, social services or business interpreting. This TOT offers you:
- Five 4-hour sessions with a national leader in the field: Katharine Allen, MA, Co-President of InterpretAmerica.
- Instruction in how to teach live (synchronous) programs; self-paced (asynchronous) programs; or both (hybrid programs).
- Clear, simple guidance on how to teach ethics, standards, protocols, skills, addressing communication barriers and more in an online medium.
- Access to course materials, videos—and sample activities from the nation’s leading program for medical or community interpreters.
You can attend the TOT in a flexible format. If you miss part of a session, you can view the recording later.
Interpreting is a practice profession. You will receive guidance in online training for interpreters that:
- Is skills-based.
- Includes practice.
- Is interactive.
- Involves small group work and role plays.
- Improves ethical decision-making.
The TOT includes five modules.
Module 1: How to set up your virtual classroom
Module 2: How to teach a class in real time using a platform such as Zoom
Module 3: How to manage classes online in large groups (up to 20+ interpreters)
Module 4: How to teach role plays, ethics and other small-group activities, using materials adapted from The Community Interpreter® International and The Medical Interpreter.
Module 5: Teachback! Trainer participants will model their skills and receive peer and instructor feedback.
Feedback from our participants:
"The presenters were excellent. They really know how to conduct these classes."
"All the course materials were very effective and relevant. The group discussions were very effective, both small groups and the whole group. Learning from each other’s experiences is the key for adult learners."
"To see participants' engagement in the course is amazing. I did not expect an online course could have that impact and active learning experience. I enjoyed interacting with different perspectives and experiences in the field of interpretation and humanitarian services."
TOT Class Schedule:
- Thursday October 1
- Tuesday October 6
- Thursday October 8
- Tuesday October 13
- Thursday October 15
All class times: 12:00-5:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. PT) with a break from 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. PT)
All participants for this online TOT must have:
- A desktop or laptop computer with a webcam. (The course may not be taken on a tablet, phone or other small device.)
- Reasonably stable, reliable high-speed internet.
- A headset with microphone or good earbuds with microphone.
- What is a good headset to use for this TOT, and for delivering online training in general?
- We've used headsets such as this one for online training.
- Are there any apps or software that can replicate a whiteboard that can be used in synchronous Zoom sessions?
- Zoom itself has a whiteboard feature. We will definitely be practicing with this during the training!
This course is limited to 20 participants. Once the course has reached capacity, those interested will be added to a waitlist in the order in which their inquiry is received.
Training Participant Information Release
By registering for our live online training programs, you agree to allow Cross-Cultural Communications, LLC to share your contact information with participants in the same training session for purposes of creating a collaborative online training experience for all participants. Should you have concerns or not wish to have your contact information shared by CCC, prior to the training session please contact Maisoon Ateem Abdelrhman, Program Manager.