All course content is presented in English, with multiple opportunities to practice all your working languagesmaking it suitable for interpreters who speak or sign ANY language.
Course description: Knowledge of medical terminology is essential for medical, community and general interpreters. This in-depth course covers:
- Greek and Latin roots and affixes found in common medical terms
- 10 human body systems (integumentary, musculoskeletal, circulatory, respiratory, nervous, endocrine, immune, digestive, urinary, reproductive) and their corresponding body parts, functions, diseases and conditions
- Medical tests, procedures and abbreviations
- Symptoms versus signs
- Registers of medical terminology
Medical Terminology for Interpreters Online (MTIO) serves beginning interpreters studying for medical interpreter certification and certified interpreters (CHIs and CMIs) seeking continuing education to maintain their credentials. The course satisfies the prerequisite training needed before applying for medical interpreter certification with the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI). It is also approved for CCHI and IMIA/NBCMI CEUs.
Course length: 12.5 hours
Course access period: 180 days from purchase date
Once purchased, course access cannot be paused. See our FAQ for information on purchasing course access extensions or purchase your course extension here.
Course completion requirements: Pass 5 lesson exit tests (score of 80% or above)
Certificate: Downloadable certificates available immediately upon passing each lesson exit test.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI): 12.5 CCHI CE hours (2 Performance-Based)
- International Medical Interpreters Association: 1.25 IMIA/NBCMI CEUs
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 12.5 CE credits
- Pennsylvania Interpreter Certification Program (ICP): 12.5 CEUs
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 12.5 OCCI PDUs
What you will get:
- 2 video instructors: Sylvana Fernández-Ellauri, MD (Uruguay), CMI, Spanish and Marjory A. Bancroft, MA
- A step-by-step overview of the human body, with video, audio, visually engaging materials and more than 50 anatomical diagrams
- More than 70 interactive exercises!
- 4 medical role plays with guided self-assessment
- 1 sight translation activity
- Self-testing of medical terms for 10 body systems
- All course material reviewed by an MD and Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI)
- One handbook in ebook format: Medical Terminology for Interpreters
- A workbook of 24 pages: The Human Body, Its Diseases and Conditions: A Review Workbook of Basic Anatomy and Physiology for Medical Interpreters.
- Doctor-approved resources for medical interpreters
- 5 course completion certificates
MTIO Course Content (Estimated time for completion: 12.5 hours)