Ethics in Action 3: Ethical Decision-making for Community and Medical Interpreters
A clear roadmap for how to make effective decisions as an interpreter that support interpreter ethics, professional practice and communicative autonomy.
Course length: 2 hours
Course access period: 60 days from purchase date
Once purchased, course access cannot be paused. See our FAQ for information on purchasing course access extensions or purchase your course extension here.
Course completion requirements: Pass one exit test (score of 70% or above).
Certificate: Downloadable certificate available immediately upon passing the exit test.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters: 2 CCHI CE hours
- International Medical Interpreters Association: 0.2 IMIA/NBCMI CEUs
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 2 CE credits
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 2 OCCI PDUs
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use five strategies to guide ethical decision-making in medical or community interpreting.
- Apply the CHIA ethical decision-making guidelines to a realistic interpreting scenario.
What you will get:
- Your video instructor: Omari Jeremiah, MA
- 9 interactive exercises
- 4 videos of community and medical interpreters facing an ethical challenge
- An effective 3-step model for saying no to requests that undermine ethical conduct
- Two role play exercises (English only)
- 1 self-assessment exercise
- 1 handout: the CHIA Standards of Practice (from the California Healthcare Interpreting Association)
- Course completion certificate
How this lesson will improve your practice:
- You will have an effective model to decline requests that exceed your scope of practice.
- You will know how to clarify your role to help others understand your ethical requirements.
- You will know how to handle requests for the interpreter “to just sign as a witness.”
- You will know how to handle requests for the interpreters to help fill out forms.
- You will be able to use the CHIA ethical decision-making guidelines to enhance your ethical practice.
We found other products you might like!